Far North Queensland History
Towns and Places
- History of the Atherton Tablelands
- From the dreamtime to the present. A tropical paradise and racial battleground. From frontier warfare to the battle for the Pacific.
- History of Atherton
- At first a camp for timbermen, 'Priors Pocket' progressed to a Cobb and Co. staging station, and eventually a prosperous agricultural town.
- History of Cairns
- As settlers from the southern colonies and overseas rushed to Far North Queensland to exploit the resources of the hinterland, the Queensland Government declared Trinity Inlet to be a settlement named 'Cairns'.
- History of Chillagoe
- Named after a nonsense-word from a sea shanty, Chillagoe began as a cattle station, developed into a mining and refining center, and was embroiled in a corruption scandal that brought down a government and was immortalized in fiction by Frank Hardy.
- History of Herberton
- Herberton was the first town established on the Atherton Tablelands, and it led to the development of other towns in the region, including Atherton and Cairns.
- History of Irvinebank
- After founding the Great Northern Mine and Battery in Herberton, John Moffat bought Gibb's Camp, where he founded his community, which he named 'Irvinebank'.
- North Queensland's Wild West
- An imaginary description of a frontier mining town in North Queensland circa 1893. Originally published in Infocus Magazine.
- John Moffat, Wonder of the North
- Biographical notes and quotes about a pioneer mining entrepeneur.
- William MacFarlane FRGS, Missionary, Surgeon, Astronomer
- Dr McFarlane served the town of Irvinebank after serving as a missionary surgeon in South Africa and China.
- Edward Granville (Red Ted) Theodore
- It was in Irvinebank that Red Ted Theodore first put his political convictions to action, founding the first branch of the Amalgamated Workers' Association.
- Mike O'Callaghan's History of Irvinebank
- An oral history of Irvinebank by a man who had worked for John Moffat in his youth.
- John Atherton
- The story of the first European settler on the Atherton Tablelands, after whom the area, and town of Atherton are named.
Film and Literature
- Historical Films of North Queensland
- Historical footage, films, and movies made in or about North Queensland.
- Books and Literature
- North Queensland in books and literature
- Among cannibals: an account of four years' travels in Australia and of camp life with the aborigines of Queensland Carl Lumholtz, 1889
- Web version with extra illustrations edited by author of Atherton Tableland Netguide.
- Hemp in Australia and British Colonial Policy
- The real motivation for the colonisation of Australia was the production of hemp and other naval resources.
- History of the Internet
- In 1945, Vannevar Bush envisioned a future device which resembled what eventually evolved into the World Wide Web.